Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What does an EA82 weigh?

They arent too bad to lift.... with the proper grip. Lifting them up out of an engine bay is way different than getting down low, right up against it, and holding it in your 'power zone' utilizing your legs to lift. In the engine bay you guys are goingto be using your lower backs half bent over the fenders.

Get a 1 ton pulley, clevis, and save your back :)

Oh had another thought. Could also drop the main crossmembers from the unibody. Then jack the car way up and drag it out. Drop it down onto a heavy blanket or thick cardboard. Then you can slide it out. Or tie on a chain/strap and pull it out.

amen to the cherry picker idea, the EA82's dopnt weigh thta much, but they weigh alot after 10 mins holding it there half bent over, then they feel like they weigh a ton. my brother and i lifted my old blown HG EA82 out of my 86' GL no problem, just make sure you remove ALL the bolts.

~Josh~

Use three people. One to guide it out and the other two on each side of a 4x4 post with a chain tied into the factory lift points on the engine.

Start with the 4x4 barely above the tops of the fenders.

Jay

i myself have pulled with onee other person and 2 other people. what i did was took everything off the motor, intake, ac assy, heavy stuff, leave ps pump on

grab the driver side by the back of the disty mount and the timing belt pulley, crank, or ps pulleys. the other guy grabs the oil fill tube and the bottom of the cam box

3 people have him tkake the crank pulley and get the fertical load as the side people lift up and forward

jack up the tranny to get the motor out of its mount holes

I've pulled one out with one other person and we used a piece of 1" solid steel rod and a tow strap.. just tie the strap in to the rod and lift.

Engine hoist is the way to go though. One person can pull an engine in about 25 minutes with a lift

I recomend the engine hoist.

lifting motors and other large objects contributed to the crushed discs in my back. I would gladly go back in time and pay for a dolly/hoist whatever it took to save my back from the condition its in now. im only 29 and have been dealing with this condition for several years now. I wont evin carry a batery across the shop if I can use a dolly now.

so after that little rant.

yes you can lift an complete EA82 with two people. I too have done it. I really recomend not doing it if you can find another way.