Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing engine without hoist

If you tie a yakima cross bar to the intake manifold, the bar will fit right in the well left by the fenders, its kind of hard over the hump, but much easier than without, be sure to jack up the tranny so that you don't catch on the motor mounts, and pull the oil sender unit so that dosn't break off or narf the radiator

grab some chain and a 4x4 post.

set post across fenders

wrap chain around post and hook to appropriate engine lift points.

grab a buddy, or a stranger off the street, and lift it out. (provided you have everything unhooked okay and slid forward) :)

Well I pulled an ER27 from the junk yard that had the front end of the car smashed up bad but with NO engine damage. The xt6 was jacked up with 2 wheels proped under each wheel hub. After A LOT of preperation just me and my buddy lifted the engine away from the transmission by hand to about head level and placed it on a tire. We were going to pull the engine up to the exit but instead gave the fork lift guy $25 to get it out of the junk yard.

All I can say is I don't see any reason why 2 people couldn't lift one out with any problem, just make sure you have some where to put it when you are done. I am not sure of the difference in weight but im sure you will do just fine. Have fun. Got the engine for $75 + $25 for the fork lift. SWEET!!!

if youre just removing the engine you could drop the entire suspension/crossmember with the motor attached...even the trans with a jack or two under neath to gently lower it. then you'll have to slide it out from underneath.

if you have to pull it by hand, keep disassembling until you and whoever you got to help can pull it out.

Ive pulled about 13 motors so far (subies) and only 2 of them i used a hoist, 2 people can lift it out, i do it all the time (with a friend) And im not that big at all.

Any place around your location rent out tools?, you might be able to rent a picker.

Wow, my local JY must a deluxe. The have a bunch of shiny red wheelbarrows by the backdoor. If you're gonna pull something heavy you grab a wheelbarrow on the way to the yard and cart it back in that.

Well I pulled an ER27 from the junk yard that had the front end of the car smashed up bad but with NO engine damage. The xt6 was jacked up with 2 wheels proped under each wheel hub. After A LOT of preperation just me and my buddy lifted the engine away from the transmission by hand to about head level and placed it on a tire. We were going to pull the engine up to the exit but instead gave the fork lift guy $25 to get it out of the junk yard.

All I can say is I don't see any reason why 2 people couldn't lift one out with any problem, just make sure you have some where to put it when you are done. I am not sure of the difference in weight but im sure you will do just fine. Have fun. Got the engine for $75 + $25 for the fork lift. SWEET!!!

I pulled an ea81 by myself once... but I wasn't trying to be nice to the car it was coming out of... they're not that heavy at all.. once it was out.. I could pick it up and carry it around by myself... I couldn't have got it myself If I was trying to save the car it was coming out of.. but two people shouldn't have a problem.

on my EA82 Semi Dry, with a little bit of coolant in it I lifted the motor on its side and picked it up by the bellhousing and the crank and lifted it out.... then went inside to call my friends that all the hard work was over they could come over now... :drunk::rolleyes: I'm not all that strong...

Marine corp pushups... thats what did it..

:headbang:

Xoomer

Only prob i had with 2 guys lifting it out, is that having to lean over into the engine bay meant leaning hard up agianst the fender - ended in a big dent above the bumper. Popped out easily though.

Its not the weight of the engine thats the prob at all, its just how low down it is (although mine is slightly lower than standard), so i'd recomend using the chain/post thing.

if youre just removing the engine you could drop the entire suspension/crossmember with the motor attached...even the trans with a jack or two under neath to gently lower it. then you'll have to slide it out from underneath..

that's how I pulled my engine and tranny out of the parts car today! it's being scrapped in a couple weeks, so I had fenders, bumper, headlights, grill, radiator, A/C everything out already...but I lowered the front onto a board, unbolted the four crossmember nuts (after everything else was already disconnected), then literally just lifted the shell up off it (no hood either, balancing on tires under the b pillar). Then I just dragged the whole thing out from under it. worked awesome!

that's how I pulled my engine and tranny out of the parts car today! it's being scrapped in a couple weeks, so I had fenders, bumper, headlights, grill, radiator, A/C everything out already...but I lowered the front onto a board, unbolted the four crossmember nuts (after everything else was already disconnected), then literally just lifted the shell up off it (no hood either, balancing on tires under the b pillar). Then I just dragged the whole thing out from under it. worked awesome!

I have also dropped the engine/trans out the bottom in one piece, its rather nice and easy. Good for putting it back in too - no mucking round trying to get the input shaft into the clutch and pilot brg while in a not so 'ergonomic' position.

• 6 years later...

i would image it would be like dropping a bugs motor a guy on each head and a fair amount of patience. just looking at it it should be easier because you can just pick it up and out of the bay just drain the motor. tried to drop a bug full of oil and that was a pain

sorry forgot tolook at post date

Edited by cpreset