Ultimate Subaru Message Board

noob question about boxer sound

nkx

why does a subaru sound like a subaru? i know its a stupid question, but its been bugging me lately. is it something to do with the angles between each rod bearing on the crank? this graphic i found on the usrm2 makes me think theres 180 deg between TDC of each cylinder, so it shouldnt sound any different than an inline 4..? :confused:

flat4.gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The firing order is different on a boxer to an inline (i think). The motor is 2 banks of two cylinders at an angle of 180 degrees., kind of like a "vee" engine but the motor is flat. This means the exhaust system is very different to anything else, which goes part of the way to the distinctive sound.

VW BMW (motorcycle) Corvair Subaru...

Boxers

Equal and opposite forces cancel each other out. So alot of noises that you would hear in other engines have equal counter forces, and the thats how you actually cancel noise, amoung other things.

All the engines stated above are boxers, and thats why they tend to run forever as long as they dont overheat.

They all also have dual exhaust, which helps too.

and the fact that boxer engines are cool :)

nipper

The headers are VERY unequal. That is the one and only reason why they sound like they do.

If you install equal length headers, it sounds like a Honda.

Has nothing to do with because its a boxer or not a boxer or firing order....its the exhaust system design.

IF you took a honda engine, put 1 and 3 with SHORT tubes, and 2-4 on LONG tubes...then it would sound like a stock SUBARU turbo setup or an N/A with a Borla header on it.

Ever listend to a VW Baja? Sounds just like our Subarus! EVER see a Baja with unequal exaust?!?! (I have built 14 of 'em and I havent) It's not the pipes, it's the (muisc of the gods!) boxer tone:cool:

I have a flowmaster and res. tip on mine, and I LOVE IT!!!!:banana:

Ever listend to a VW Baja? Sounds just like our Subarus! EVER see a Baja with unequal exaust?!?! (I have built 14 of 'em and I havent) It's not the pipes, it's the (muisc of the gods!) boxer tone:cool:

I have a flowmaster and res. tip on mine, and I LOVE IT!!!!:banana:

Off the subject.....I was hoping to somday build a railer with a sube engine but have no base plans do you have any suggetions??? I alread have a VW front end for steering but am lost after that

Off the subject.....I was hoping to somday build a railer with a sube engine but have no base plans do you have any suggetions??? I alread have a VW front end for steering but am lost after that

There are kits to mount the sooby engine on a VW tranaxle... the vanagon people do it all the time.

nipper

The headers are VERY unequal. That is the one and only reason why they sound like they do.

Has nothing to do with because its a boxer or not a boxer or firing order....its the exhaust system design.

IF you took a honda engine, put 1 and 3 with SHORT tubes, and 2-4 on LONG tubes...then it would sound like a stock SUBARU turbo setup or an N/A with a Borla header on it.

no, not true at all, a honda sounds like a honda because its an inline engine. lots somoother.

thats like saying if you put open pipes on a honda motorcycle it will sound like a harley! and nothing is further from the truth.

put equal straight pipes on it, and it sounds like a n airplane, not like a honda ever!

on my xt6 engine, i have equal length headers, to a y into a 2.5 inch pipe, with a supertrap at the end. sounds more like a nascar than a honda.

thats insulting.

even the new engines sound like the old ea81s if you listen close enough.

I thought the engines sound the way they do because of the individual cylinder fire. So if there was a V-4 engine ever, it might sound the same way, well almost.

Nada. I listen to Wisconsin V-4's all day at work. Don't sound nothing like a Boxer, let alone a Subaru engine.

Also Nada. Had self built duals on my '82 BRAT with an EA-82 engine, equal length pipes. Ain't no-way it sounded like a Honda.

Wrong.

WRX that won STX in 2004-has stone mnt headers and 2.5" TBE w/high flow cat.....sounds just like a honda with headers and a high flow cat.

2.5 RS's sound completely different with the tuned vs stock vs borla vs TWE equal's on them.

The RX sounds completely different with the TWE vs stock on it.

It IS about header design.

Think NASCAR....why do the Talladega/Daytona cars soudn different than when running at Charlotte or Bristol? The headers are different for short-med track vs superspeedway with the restictor plate. MUCH higher pitched and an annoying at the Super Speedways than at the shorter tracks w/out the R-Plates.

Mustangs with stock vs shorty vs *incert other header design here* all sound different.

It is the header design.

It' true it's all in the exhaust set-up. Given that this engine has siamese ports, you'd have to divide them some how to get a "true" equal legnth. Listen to a WRX with equal legnth....sounds just like a civic....of course it's a little deeper, cause it's a big bore and short stroke, but it does have the weed wacker sound to it. And normally subaru exhausts are rather large for the engine size ie 1.8 N/A subaru ea82 engine has what? 1 7/8 exhaust? civic is what? 1 3/8?? the smaller the exhaust is the more raspy it'll sound. Then it all comes down to valve timing, lift and other raz-ma-taz...but for the destinctive subaru "chug" that is all in the exhaust my friends....

there is definatle more depth to the er27's exhaust note than to any honda i have ever pulled up to

the ER27 sounds weird...there was one at Nationals with a cat-back on it...sounded kinda like a cross between an SVX and a Porsche.

Hey Guys This is Jerry, my hatch back dosen't sound like a subaru with those side pipes on it. My hatchbrat dosen't sound like a subaru also with those 3 inch exhaust stacks on it. I am old school i lkie the sound of horse power and the rumble. Some of you guys have heard my subies cool. Thanks Jerry

ive been in and around imprezas and wrx's with tuned and equal length and stock headers, they all sound like some sort of boxer, granted, the stock wrx and other tuned length designs ezaggerate the sound, but even the stock exhaust and equal length headers sound a little off in their tone, you can hear the uneven beat of a boxer rumbling behind it all.

ive also deen around subies runningg open ports, aka no headers at all. they still had a bit of a boxer rumble under all the noise.

the exhaust note is aided by the plumbing after the engine, but the source is the internal engine design. thats why you can always tell a mustang from a comaro. mustangs always sound like they are drowning, no matter what headers style they use, its all in the design of the heads and the compression and the cams, ect...