Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sube convertable?

I saw an ad in the C-Bus paper over the weekend for an "83 2dr convertable". 67k GC $850.

I havn't called yet, and probably shouldn't since I've got my hands full as it is. Still, if this thing is for real....

Do any of you guys know anything about these? Is this a true factory car? Is this worth going after?

thanks, John

The online sales manager for a Sube dealer here in Seattle that maintains some Sube info on his website. He says:

"There were a few GL convertibles made by a Southern California company in 1983-84. They cut the top off a GL 2dr. These aftermarket conversions were not authorized by Subaru nor included in any promotional literature or advertising."

LINK (scroll down)

I'm pretty sure the coupes in '83-84 were only 2WD. But not certain, please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you can buy it and hold it...and give me a little while to pick it up/pay you for it... I would love one for my collection. I missed the one out here and I've been kicking myself for it since.

At any rate check it out and let us know what kind of shape it's in.

I have only seen two in my life and I own one.

www.angelfire.com/on2/richie/Subaru/Convertible1.html

There were a few different companies that made them. Not all were GL10 but I think many of them were. The company my dad worked for in 83 sent a coupe down to California to have it turned into a convertible. My dad worked on it many times trying to get rattles out of it.

The one I have seems to have been better made. You can slam the doors and it is very strong.

According to a friend that ran a shop down in California in the 80's turning Coupes into convertibles was very popular back then. They did it with like the Buicks and other American cars.

All Coupes that were turned convertibles were 2WD.

The only Coupes that were 4WD were ones that were equipt with Turbos.

Smitty:

I finally was able to reach someone at the house. Hopefully, I'll be able to check it out tonight if the owner is home.

According to the add, it runs good and is in good condition. Hard to tell if the 67k is a good thing (well-maintained) or bad (sat around forever).

I'll know more later...

John

from the last page on the Pine Barrens run thread. If it looks like a good deal we'll figger out how to negotiate a sale and I'll tow it out to Montana (and then maybe on to mudrat for a 'makover' heh, heh, heh) ... sure would make a fun 'sleeper' for Hawaii.