Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

• 2 weeks later...

Well I haven't done much except collect parts, But if you have never heard of the late Professor Gordon P Blair then look up Blair and Associates and download some very good technical articles well worth reading from the main page links.

This man was a genius in both two stroke and four stroke race engines and many of the theories and principles that applied to any engine make if more powerful and efficient,He was the man in charge at Queens University Belfast in the Engineering Faculty and his following poem may just give a hint of his abilities.

http://www.profblairandassociates.com/

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

''The Last Mulled Toast

A Grand Prix race is very rough,
the going's fast, the pace is tough.
The four-stroke rules the world of cars,
in bikes it´s the two-strokes that are the stars.

Now, why is this you´d have to ask?
The rulemakers you can take the task.
For the intake air never needs to question,
"Is this the right bellmouth for my ingestion?"

The designer of both must surely know,
or else his engines will all be slow,
unsteady gas dynamic trapping
by right and left waves overlapping.

To model an engine is algebraic simple.
You sit on the gas like a veritable pimple,
solving the maths the waves to track
from valve to bellmouth in the intake stack.

At the inlet valve you scan induction,
count the air that´s passed by suction
and just as the valve would shut the door,
you get a wave to ram home more.

In the exhaust it´s furnace hot,
for the modeller ´tis a tropic spot.
Exhaust waves reflect but do the job
of sucking out the burned gas slob.

Some time ago I wrote two tomes
on two-strokes, including poems.
It seemed only fair to tell those with cars
that black-art tuning is best kept for bars.

This book informs the four-stroke tuner
what I wish I knew decades sooner,
as Brian Steenson followed Agostini
with my exhaust on Mick Mooney´s Seeley.

The pen´s both strokes have now been told.
My writ is run, I´m pensioned old.
While I may be ancient and time is shrinking,
only Dei voluntas can stop me thinking.''

SIR Gordon Blair,
1 November 1998
Edited by coxy

I swapped out my decrepit struts and noisey front endlinks with a WRX set from a 2004 with 75k.

:D Just have my drums to service this weekend, and short of a better radio, my car is good.

It's a nice feeling to just be satisfied with your car, not worrying about anything neglected or needing to be done.

Ehem.. that bearing will call to me eventually.

Pics:

IMG_20150414_174820.jpg

IMG_20150412_140719.jpg

IMG_20150414_191131.jpg

IMG_20150414_191447.jpg

IMG_20150414_191613.jpg

IMG_20150403_140319.jpg

IMG_20150403_140334.jpg

IMG_20150403_140428.jpg

Snapchat_3275748659595518836.jpg

IMG_20150412_134721.jpg

Snapchat_1992193006503188543.jpg

IMG_20150412_193239.jpg

IMG_20150412_193307.jpg

Edited by SnatchedHatch
  • Like 1

The Shifter really Feels more Solid and Rigid, but nothing exaggerated.

Beside the normal "Feeling" of the Shifter going into a Gear, Now you can Hear a small muted sound on the Floor, along that feeling.

Engine's vibrations now are sent in a certain small amount, to all the Floor, without the Rubber Cube, but the Shifter's Vibrations are the Same as Before.

So the Rubber Cube was for isolating the Drivetrain from the Body, not for the Shifter itself.

Those three are the only changes I could notice so far.

Kind Regards.

Might ask this mechanic what he thinks because he fixed this same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwoZ4KRkmnA&feature=iv&src_vid=zLEudwDEY-c&annotation_id=annotation_1047107659

• Like 1

Replaced the headlights on my BRAT.

I bought very nice halogen replacements for all 4 lights on a closeout a year or so ago and put them on the shelf. I needed to fix some non-functioning adjusters so that I could get my headlights to point the right way, so I figured I might as well put the new lights in while I had it all apart.

After replacing the lights and setting all of the adjustments right, I drove away and found my lights were pointing too high! Apparently I wasn't sitting level when I adjusted them, or something. I'll retry another night.

• Like 1

Replaced the headlights on my BRAT.

I bought very nice halogen replacements for all 4 lights on a closeout a year or so ago and put them on the shelf. I needed to fix some non-functioning adjusters so that I could get my headlights to point the right way, so I figured I might as well put the new lights in while I had it all apart.

After replacing the lights and setting all of the adjustments right, I drove away and found my lights were pointing too high! Apparently I wasn't sitting level when I adjusted them, or something. I'll retry another night.

Pointing too high or are all 4 on highbeam while on low beam switch position ?And no low beam lighting at all, as in all four light up same between hi and lo ? I found my quad lights did this when I bought it as the inner high beam units were quartz halogen with replaceable bulbs with metal brackets for bulb to go in causing the arth switching of the lights to activate high beam as soon as low was switched on. Only fixed it with QH sealed beam units after testing combo switch and going bonkers !

Pointing too high or are all 4 on highbeam while on low beam switch position ?And no low beam lighting at all, as in all four light up same between hi and lo ? I found my quad lights did this when I bought it as the inner high beam units were quartz halogen with replaceable bulbs with metal brackets for bulb to go in causing the arth switching of the lights to activate high beam as soon as low was switched on. Only fixed it with QH sealed beam units after testing combo switch and going bonkers !

They're just aimed too high. I need to line up on a wall again and re-aim them lower.

As far as which lights come on when, my outer lights come on for low beams and all 4 come on for high beams. But I've been wondering what the stock configuration is. Should it be low=outer and high=inner, or high=all 4?

Just did the dual electric fan conversion on my wagon following Jeszek's write up here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/125754-easy-guide-on-five-steps-to-twin-electric-fans-swap/

Works flawlessly, as advertised :-) (Thank you J!)

Now to figure out why my hatch quit idling (removed the anti diesel solenoid last time.)

The struggle continues.........lol

Dan

• Like 1

2hyvsox.jpg

Came home from work and removed the 5 speed dual range from the 88 parts gl wagon, the only reason I bought the car was to have this tranny as a back up so into the shed it goes and the car goes to the junker. Really glad I got that done!

2hyvsox.jpg

Came home from work and removed the 5 speed dual range from the 88 parts gl wagon, the only reason I bought the car was to have this tranny as a back up so into the shed it goes and the car goes to the junker. Really glad I got that done!

If you just want to keep that tranny as a spare, is there any chance you'd want to sell the shift linkages? I got a D/R 5spd for the Ski Wagon Project, but it came with no linkages. If you'd consider selling those parts, shoot me a PM. It would help me immensely. I really need to get the bad tranny swapped out.

After putting WRX struts into my Wagon, I ran into a problem with the rear strut tower reverse-cone shape not centering in the designated chassis hole, as due to my make-shift changes in the bolt-up design, it was no longer a match.

This prevented the (rear) strut from fully seating, which caused a minor side-affect, no saggy butt syndrome,

but it also created positive camber (bottom of tire moved inwards = posi?).

This was a huge problem as it affected the handling so, that I did not have much confidence in taking twisteys.

I would have realized this if I properly prepared for the project, tutorials already describe this issue.

I settled on some saggy butt spacers from Paranoid Fabrications for the 02-07 impreza top mounts I'm using, they took about two days to ship!!

And, per their contact page, you can reach them on FaceBook and they did promptly reply.

I threw them on and used some silicone grease between the spacers and top hats to prevent any unwanted noise. Worked like a charm! Rear sits higher now, the tires are stanced properly, and honestly I have a decent amount of clearance back there now. I'm about to measure my diff clearance and post later.

HANDLING IS SOO MUCH BETTER now :D

I'm working on getting some discounts for y'all...

CHA-CHING B) PM me for a 10% discount for your spacer needs! http://www.paranoidfabrications.com/

Here's some pics of how it went:

27392.jpg

27395.jpg

IMG_20150423_200124.jpg

27397.jpg

Just took the 83 wagon up the poudre canyon to Pingree park!  This thing is amazing on the curves going up a mountain. Almost had me scared! When do these things start to let go around a corner? I did 50 around a full corner and didnt even squeel (at least from what I can hear over the exhaust)    I am starting my weight reduction today along with starting the roll cage!

I don't felt this "Made in Honduras part to be Expensive, if you consider that it is around twice as thick and strong than the original part, plus made of great quality, industrial strength Aluminium, it doesn't corrode; so it will outlast the whole car for sure.

The engineer who did that part, only asked around the Equivalent to $ 30.ºº US Dollars, in our local currency, the "Lempíra"

How much does cost a similar part made like that, in USA:confused: 

Kind Regards.

Lempira sounds so much cooler than dollar

• Like 2

Lempira sounds so much cooler than dollar

Ha, Ha... 

Lempíra sir, was a chieftain Warrior of the Lenca ethnic group, relatives of Hondurans Mayas. He fought against the Spanish invaders and was treacherously killed at the top of a hill, so Lempira is a national grandee of Honduras.  More info & images, here:

~► Wikipedia: Lempira

Sorry for the offtopicness...

What have I done to my Subie, Lately?

Driving, pouring Gasoline and Continue Driving ... :D ...

And Gathering parts to install the 15" aluminium Wheels,

such like New Studs, Full Metal valves, etc...

Kind Regards.

Edited to Fix the Web Link.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

More like "What did I do "FOR" my Subaru.

Went and got a credit line for $2,000.00.

Ordered enough parts/pieces to do a total rebuild of an engine, minus what shop work will cost for things I can't do here myself.

This had better get the '88 Wagon back to a daily driver status.

Sssshhhhh..... Don't let the Wife know I did this. I won't see my next birthday. :(

• Like 2

Made my new bumper, painted and on (no pics, broke my phone in the process). Stripped some crap out of the engine bay. Set the fuel pump up with a key, weberized :grin: :grin:

Header is coming tommorow, and once I get a new throttle cable, I'll just need to weld the rear bumper mounts back on, and make that bumper, and then we'll be in business  :brat:

Edited by comatosellama

My bumper, took the directions from subarubrat.com , credit where credit is due. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B44JjK5C_rtDaldmVW1fZWxQX1VtRElBMzk5WldRN0h1Tk9n/view?usp=sharing   

And my quad fits!! (yours truly in the photo) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B44JjK5C_rtDQzhwQ0QzTzYzMFdOZzZYaWRESDN1NTB6U05N/view?usp=sharing

Although it is a little saggy... Weighs less than 500lbs, didn't think it would be too much for her. I'm hoping to be able to roadtrip them together.