Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 rebuild

EA82 Rebore Oversized pistons

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jareth

Jareth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Loma, Colorado

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

I bought an 87 GL-10 turbo with a blown head gasket recently. I tore the engine down to find both the heads have cracked and the cylinder bores are rusted and have scarred. I've been thinking about getting the cylinders rebored, but I don't know where I could find some oversized pistons. Does anyone know where I could look? Or is there a better alternative I should look at?

#2 jsyme

jsyme

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • ColoSpgs, Colorado

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

Before GD says it.. it's a dead platform. get a early 90's 2.2L Legacy or Impreza :)

#3 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 3,475 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

If you want to keep that car, best bet is find a used engine, but that will likely be tough.

Other option, ej 2.2. A lot of work, but so is trying to find parts for the original, and a na 2.2 is more reliable than a turbo ea and more power.

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 21,397 posts
  • Portland

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

Well that was your first mistake (buying it)...... dont make another one. No parts are available. And proper machining (line hone, rebore, etc) would be extremely expensive due to no one having their equipment setup for the process on that engine. Just a line hone would likely cost $1k and then you have cylinder boring.... no one has a bore plate....oil pumps are discontinued... It would cost far more than the car is worth. It's not feasible and what you would end up with would still be an EA82T.... yuck.

If it's got a really nice body consider the EJ22 swap. More power than the 1.8 Turbo and no turbo complexity.

Used, good condition EA82T..... that's laughable. Such a thing pretty much no longer exists as far as I know. Might as well look for the pot-o-gold and try to catch the leprechaun.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder, 07 August 2017 - 09:13 PM.

#5 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 3,475 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:05 PM

That's what I figured, thus suggesting the EJ.

#6 ferp420

ferp420

im not a typer

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  • el granada ca usa

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:48 AM

Theres a company making rebuild kits for them there around 300 clegs i think there on ebay  you can get over sized pistons to but you still have all the other issues that come with a ea82t on the up.side there fun when they run

Edited by ferp420, 08 August 2017 - 12:50 AM.

#7 idosubaru

idosubaru

• Members
  • 23,426 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

All EA heads crack between the valve seats - that's actually normal and benign. But on a blown headgasket EA82T that often can mean the cracks go down into the exhaust ports.

Can you tell if they're just surface cracks or actually extend down into the head far enough to be problematic?

Otherwise yeah they're ancient and old. 30 years of hoses fittings and seals to leak or fail and that's assuming all the previous owners took good care of a cheap car that's not worth much for 30 years and the last one didn't just run it into the ground due to the failing gaskets.

It's not impossible but choose carefully.

There's a JDM EA82 on craigslist in Atlanta. Not sure if it was turbo or not.

#8 jsyme

jsyme

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • ColoSpgs, Colorado

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

I noticed Jareth hasn't replied here. Sorry to come across so heavy.

#9 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 21,397 posts
  • Portland

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

What do you do when reality infringes upon your frolicking woodland creature, unicorn, rainbow, and lighting bug butt view of the world..... stick your head back in the sand of course.

I can't be sorry for the truth, and have no time to sugar coat it. There's no excuse for not asking these questions BEFORE buying some automotive albatross to hang around your neck. 

GD

#10 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 10,424 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

There's no excuse for not asking these questions BEFORE buying some automotive albatross to hang around your neck. 

GD

Oh my friggin god, I about choked on my coffee.  EAlbatross82!!!

Hey at least there is a way to loosen the noose in the form of an EJ22.

The OP here has the best platform too.

MPFI car to start, Large line, Baffled fuel tank and F.I. pump.  

And if it's 5spd, he can stuff it's guts in a EJ trans case and use EJ clutch no adapter plate without any driveline or shifter mods and keep true 4wd and or difflock whichever he's got.  

Being an 87 could be either.

#11 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular Nut

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

So... are you saying there is no Sasquatch ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users