Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is sad...

Was thinking about it the other day, and was running down the list of things I've done to my vehicles...

I've changed a halfshaft in the soob.

Converted the Soob to rear discs.

Changed the unit bearings in my jeep.

Those are some of the bigger things I've done, but....

I've never changed my own oil...

I'm so ashamed... :(

Originally posted by soobme

Mine changes it's oun oil, I just have to add a QT. a week to keep it happy:D

I'll second that...

hehe 2 quarts a week

oh and no torx wrench needed... 17 mm and 2 black garbage bags, and a puralator filter and yer good to go...

Fill the new filter with fresh oil before installing it. Saves on engine wear since the pump doesn't have to fill the filter before it can deliver pressure to the oil galleries.

Subes are great for this, since the filter screws on from below, you can actually brim the filter. This is not possible on all those in-line engines with side-on filters.

Setright is correct on the filling the filter, you must fill it a couple times to get it full, it does take a bit of time to soak into the filter pleats.

But he is talking about newer Subarus, ours sit in a horizontal position and you have to quick, still a good idea, esp on a turbo.

Clean the area where the drain plug seats and if you can get a new Aluminum washer (don't forget it's there and drop it in the drain pan) I have reused them but it is better to replace it.

The torque wrench is your friend, too loose and it could fall out - too tight and well it could strip on the way out next time. 18 ft lbs

The drain plug is 17 mm an 11/16 will work in a pinch.

Capacity is 4 liter which works out to be about 4.5 quarts.

The oil filter only needs to be hand tight but I usualy give it an 1/8 turn more with the strap wrench.

Hope this helps and if I missed something I am sure someone will chime in.

Something else that is good to do when you are changing the oil is not to overfill it. If it takes about 4.5 quarts start out with 4, let it all run down into the pan and then check your level. Then add more according to how much you need. (by the way, it really sucks when you buy a motor somewhere and you change the oil and the dipstick still reads that you are really low so you keep putting more oil in only to find out later that somebody put the wrong dipstick in and you are now about 1.5 quarts overfull. It really sucks when you have to drain fresh oil back out!)

There was a guy that wrote into click and clack the tappet brothers. He added one more step to the oil change and thought he was doing a good job. The step was after draining the oil he would start the engine and run it for a while a get an extra cup of dirty oil out. The brothers told him to get rid of the car but that he could not honestly sell it without telling the buyer what he had done.

Originally posted by Setright

Fill the new filter with fresh oil before installing it. Saves on engine wear since the pump doesn't have to fill the filter before it can deliver pressure to the oil galleries.

Subes are great for this, since the filter screws on from below, you can actually brim the filter. This is not possible on all those in-line engines with side-on filters.

EA motors dont have a vertical filter man..

We can't prime our filters.

And for the engine wear, theres more to worry about leaky seals on the oil pump then from not priming a filter..

it takes about 3 seconds for my EA82 to pressure up after an oil change.

The technique I have developed is to drain the oil, tighten the drain plug, remove the filter, screw on new one, diconnect the coil wire and crank the car over a couple 3 to 5 times in 5 second bursts. 90% of the priming is done by the time you hokk up the coil wire and run the car. seems to work good for me.

I cant believe all you guys missed one small but important step!!!

before putting the new filter on, smear the rubber gasket at the top of the new filter with clean oil!! u will be sure to seat the new filter properly this way. and please do not over tighten the new filter!

geez, come on guys, where's ur heads!!! ;):D