Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I can actually see the end in sight with the Justy. He runs, I just cut off the two bolts at the cat to replace the exhaust system. For those who have never one of these, the cat is bolted onto the exhaust manifold in such a way that it is part of the manifold. I lucked out as they are studs which were squished in when hot, which should make it easy to just brill them out and replace with bolts.

Blu is in the shop getting his timing belt done.

Tom and I put new axles in the Brighton today. Both had ripped boots, the passenger side was really bad and the roll pin was missing as well! No more shimmy, no more clicking.

Oh, and new exhaust manifold gaskets, had the wrong ones in there before and it ticked. Nice and quite now.

87 Brat - Bought new 185/70R13 tires (Kumho Solus KR21) and got rid of the front end shimmy/vibrations, completed the 300 mile (actually @400 miles) torqueing of head bolts, post head gasket replacement; changed oil/filter, fixed a useless ground (corrosion) just to the front of where the inboard battery hold down rod hook goes into the rail. Folks might want to check this ground (black wire, ~16 or 18 gauge; not sure what it is for), but I am surprised I had not seen it before, it is just below the battery on the frame rail.

Edited by aba4430
spelling correction.

Plastic Bag? :eek:

Here's what's happening with the 83 convertible ... have a look-

Here's a link to some before and afters:

http://s802.photobucket.com/albums/yy304/rrgrr/83%20GL%20Vert/

Very Nice Convertible you have... I've only seen one in my Country.

I Like the idea of a Subaru Logo on the Weber's Air Cleaner Box.

Kind Regards.

Plastic Bag? :eek:

Yep yep. Took twenty minutes. It's the poor man's solution to a cracked/split axle boot. Backed the car onto ramps, went under there with some newspaper and plastic bags, wrapped the newspaper around the boot as tight as possible, duct tape it as tight as possible, more newspaper, more tape, then wrap a plastic bag around it as tight as possible and tape that up.

It's sealed up pretty good now. Should make it through the rains that hit until I can fix it proper.

Gotta be resourceful when you don't got the resources ;)

Yep yep. Took twenty minutes. It's the poor man's solution to a cracked/split axle boot. Backed the car onto ramps, went under there with some newspaper and plastic bags, wrapped the newspaper around the boot as tight as possible, duct tape it as tight as possible, more newspaper, more tape, then wrap a plastic bag around it as tight as possible and tape that up.

It's sealed up pretty good now. Should make it through the rains that hit until I can fix it proper.

Gotta be resourceful when you don't got the resources ;)

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Sometimes it's not always the correct way, but if it gets your butt to work, who's to argue?

Got out yesterday and snatched up 2 "low mileage" ej22's from picknpull. they had a coupon half off entire purchase sale and there were two that were WRECKED. I got a 93 with 165k rear ended and blown out front tire, and a 96 sedan side impact for under 200 before "core" charges. Stupid junkyard charging cores...:dead:

Traded some fozzy XT wheels for a dual range! Thanks bratman.

I'll throw that in my GL and rebuild it's old tired tranny. I want to put the xt tailshaft on so I have 4wd/awd(ish). I know it's not real awd, but when I step on the gas on the road it'll still use the whole drivetrain instead of just the front axles. This will be good with a (someday) ej22 swap.

*2/3 Sedan progress

Well I made progress with my weber swap. I unplugged all the hoses and wires necessary for the Carter weber and stopped when I got to the intake bolts.. Gotta get a new thermostat for it and sourced a throttle cable that goes on the left instead of the right ( the right side one is to short for the weber )

Went for a joy ride in the Hatch and played in the snow and got stuck for the first time ever. No LSD and was at an angle so front left and right rear were the two wheels with the least traction. I had a great time doing it too soo :grin:

I swapped wheels between the RX and the GL10 - also the seats. I put new seat covers on the roached seats , bled the brakes, gave it a wash and vacc. Stuck the 88 GL10 up fs on the city car lot. The RX....:headbang:Now has a clean interior, rebuilt oil pump, black snowflake wheels, and a shiny new paint job - shelby cobra blue. I mounted a gl grill and loyale turn signals. Also - put in a pioneer head unit , 5 band eq, alpines in the doors, bostons in the rear deck, pioneer 12s behind rear seat, cheap lightning audio amp with fosgate cables, and an xtant monoblock running the subs. You would think my kid would be in a hurry to get his license! Still needs head gaskets and new rad. I'll try to get some pics up.:grin:

'94 Loyale:

Cleaned the chassis grounds, installed winter wiper blades, water pump, thermostat, & new heater hoses in "reverse" orientation to back-flush the heater core. After some cold ski trips to Baker, Stevens, and Snoqualmie, we have heat again!

As a bonus, I found a loose timing belt from 20k ago, so I re-tensioned it and left the covers off. Thanks for the education, USMB!

'94 Loyale:

Cleaned the chassis grounds, installed winter wiper blades, water pump, thermostat, & new heater hoses in "reverse" orientation to back-flush the heater core. After some cold ski trips to Baker, Stevens, and Snoqualmie, we have heat again!

As a bonus, I found a loose timing belt from 20k ago, so I re-tensioned it and left the covers off. Thanks for the education, USMB!

What would the reverse orientation do to get more heat?....i have an 81 brat and even on full blast i dont get that much heat

Right, the better way would be to back-flush it into a catch can, but I ran out of time. The reverse flow appears to have cleared it out for now. I'll do a proper flush when I have time, or when the snow is crap, which it's not now :)

Also I read that the reverse flow is OK for EA82's but not EA81's because of the guts of the heater core.

Right, the better way would be to back-flush it into a catch can, but I ran out of time. The reverse flow appears to have cleared it out for now. I'll do a proper flush when I have time, or when the snow is crap, which it's not now :)

Also I read that the reverse flow is OK for EA82's but not EA81's because of the guts of the heater core.

well any ideas how to get more heat cuz on full blast it takes for ever for the inside to warm up to a comfy temp where im not shivering..plus its harder then hell to keep it defogged

changed the alternator for the 3rd time in the last 4 days.

1st one got noisy in the bearing in the cold.

So i removed it the past weekend when it was warm and put one on from my shelf.

the other day it then drove it 8 miles to get beer. Getting back into the car, noticed turned over slower than normal.

Proceed to drive back home with my beer. snow was blowing, wipers were a little slow

about 5 miles from home, radio pops on and off. turn off headlights and the fan.... i know this, been there done it, oh can i make it. starts loosing power on the hill, turn off the rear defrost, power comes back to make the hill. only 3.75 miles to go.

Windchill is like -5.

car does make it back to town, i drop my friend off, and then, it is dead....

good thing he lives 2 blocks away. I jog back home. grab a spare battery and my other car, drive the battery back. warm up at friends house, then swap battery, friend follows me back home, park car.

today, i put in the other spare alternator i had on the shelf. pulled out the one that didn't charge and labeled it with sharpie... charged the battery i drained and it is back in, will see.

still have to mark the one that charged as "noisy bearing".

Also went with my dad to look at a 06 outback advertised as 3988 price on Monday. Yesterday was blizzard and interstate closed to DM where the car was, so we went today for mom to look at it. They drove it home today. they joined the high mileage club, 290k miles on it.

Edited by bheinen74