Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MPG of various models ????

Hello all,

I was curious what kind of gas mileage you all are getting with various models.

I have an '84 EA81 wagon with a weber and 27" tires. After correcting for the tire size on the odometer, I'm only getting 19-20mpg. Is this average????

I was wondering if I could get some input from others that have EA81 with stock carb, EA81 with webber, EA81 turbos, EA82 with carb, and EA82 with FI. Also mention your tire diameter so we can see apples for apples.

Thanks,

mtsfabman

Best I've heard of was my parents' carbed 87 4wd 5 speed wagon getting over 40 mpg on the highway when it was pretty young.

Worst I've experienced was about 200 miles to a tank (13.3mpg), which has happened several times when my 86 carbed 4wd 5 speed wagon has been severely ill in some form. Most of the time, she gets mid-twenties on the highway.

The most satisfying fuel economy was on a run we made last summer in my car, in which we ran at 85-90 mph to the next "major city" to go see a movie. The trip that normally takes five hours took three hours and twenty minutes. We later figured out that we were getting around 18 mpg, which normally isn't all that impressive but is quite awesome considering that's basically the top speed of the car.

In my wagon (84 EA81) when it was 2WD and a BRAND NEW Weber, I got 32 MPG on a 600 mile trip to WCSS5.

Now same car, no engine changes at all - same new Weber, with 28" mudders, and 4WD, I got 16 MPG on a 300 mile trip I made week before last....

Bugaru got 16 MPG in his hatch on the same trip which weighs less, and has smaller 27" tires - but he's got the Hitachi, and crappy gearing, so I still did better.

I think our calculations were pretty accurate - we filled up at the same places each time, and checked how much gas we put in, etc....

GD

You can figure it out yourself if you like...

I get 200 miles to a tank (maybe 210 - the last time I almost ran out it was 207 and it died on the way into the station)....

My tires account for a 19.2% difference in speedo, and odometer readings (175/70R13's to 215/75R15's)...

210 * 1.192 = 250.32 actual miles driven.

My tank capacity is listed as 14.5 gallons...

250.32 / 14.5 = 17.26 MPG

That's figured at 210 miles, and like I said, I nearly ran out at 207 last time I tried that, so I would imagine that this calculation is pretty accurate since I doubt the fuel system is capable of completely draining the tank of every last drop.....

And for comparison, I could go over 400 miles when it was 2WD with no trouble at all. I seriously doubt anything has changed - except of course the obvious stuff - and there's plenty of people around on the board that can tell you how good my engine runs.... it's top notch.

GD

21 is pretty consistent. I drive mostly highway at about 80mph.

I am running on 195/60/15 tires. The mpg has been corrected for the tires.

Although with the new engine it looks like the mpg will improve.

Jay

Denver, Co

the lifted hatch would go about 160-180 miles on a tank.. thats not figureing in the difference in tire size.. see signature for what it is..

my RX will go 140-170 on a tank of gas...

the spfi wagon will go 250 on a tank.. (damn slippin auto trans)

the stock 89' ea81 hatch will go 317 miles on 8.5 gallons of gas..

this is the commuter car :D

the XT (bigger turbo, modded MAF, IC and more) gets about 13MPG running around the city and some highway miles.

the Imp. L gets about 20MPG doing the same but hasnt had a tune up in a very long time.

meeky...id check the RX out again. i was getting 300-350 a tank about a year and a half ago after a fresh tune up.

Originally posted by Dennis ex24

meeky...id check the RX out again. i was getting 300-350 a tank about a year and a half ago after a fresh tune up.

well its not exactly stock now either :grin:

and i know the timing isn't set right.. never stuck a light on it, just did it by ear.. gonna fix that this weekend..

Guest taprackready

1982 Brat, stock except for smog equip removal. 29 MPG without fiberglass canopy, 25 MPG with fiberglass high-top.

Tires are 185/70/13.

Bill

89 GL wagon, EA82 SPFI, 2wd, 5 speed - no cruise - 182K and stock size tires...last mpg check was 29.7mpg - running between 55 & 70mph going back and forth to work - approx 100 miles a day - usually four days on a fillup = 400 miles avg to a tankfull.

At the moment she isnt doing quite so well, as she has developed a major exhuast leak right at the exhuast manifold - will be getting fixed on friday...

While I had it, my 1987 SPFI 3 speed AT 2wd GL sedan got no lower than 25 MPG, no matter how I drove it. I would average about 27 MPG and get at least 350 miles out of a tank of regular. This was combined city and highway driving. Stock tires. ECU light constantly on complaining about the EGR solenoid.

My 91 Pontiac 6000, 3.1 V6 has gotten me 21.5 MPG average, with my low being 19.1 and my high being 24.3. I'll average around 300 miles per tank. Mostly back roads/city driving.

my '84 ea81 5 speed sedan drinks gas like it is going out of style. I need to get rid of that sh**ty single barrel and go for the weber 2 barrel!

My grandfathers 86 lincoln towncar puts my car to shame. his gets 28 MPG! its got a big fat 7 litre V8 too!