Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

• Please log in to reply
6829 replies to this topic

#6001 l75eya

l75eya

Almost has it all figured out

• Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

Replaced a supposedly 'rebuilt' SPFI injector with a good used one.

Just exchanged the IAC onto another TBI upper body after a good cleaning.

Symptom was sluggish response from low RPM with all other things being equal - like timing at 20*, etc.

Made a BIG difference in throttle response.

Next will be a new PCV - oil consumption is high & get the morning start up smoke cloud sometimes.

Could you elaborate on the IAC part a bit? What is it and such?

I have SPFI on my loyale and I get a stumble at low revs with 3/4 throttle. As well as a very rare intake backfire when I gun it while cruising. (checking timing tomorrow)

#6002 rrgrr

rrgrr

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Bloomington

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

Been messing with my a/c, removed the hotwire to the compressor, put plug back together,... doing other stuff, -suddenly it's working! Haven't had a car with working air for awhile, still need to shut it off to accelerate from stoplights, & uphill.

Also, I've been trying to get the timing advanced to +20, with no luck -it will ping under load anywhere past 16, and the top end power is miserable(nothing left in 5th gear). This motor is just happier around 10-12 degrees advanced, and mileage is better there, too.

Seems to always have a slight ping taking off from a stop -anyone else get this?

#6003 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 6,370 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

Could you elaborate on the IAC part a bit? What is it and such? ...

Idle Air Control Valve.

Maybe this thread contain helpful info for you:

~► http://www.ultimates...control-valve/

Kind Regards.

#6004 czny

czny

USMB is life!

• Silver Subscribers
  • 347 posts
  • Azusa, California

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

Could you elaborate on the IAC part a bit? What is it and such?

I have SPFI on my loyale and I get a stumble at low revs with 3/4 throttle. As well as a very rare intake backfire when I gun it while cruising. (checking timing tomorrow)

I'll post a new thread about what I'd done so anyone who searches doesn't have to have a tough time in this long, long, long thread.

#6005 l75eya

l75eya

• Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

Thank you Jes and czny.

New driver's side front axle in the GL. Now I've got two new in the front and one junkyard axle in pass back. Just gotta do that driver's side rear.
It's great to be able to accelerate briskly from a stop again, and be able to take turns with my foot on the throttle instead of coating them.

Doing the front driver's on the Loyale tomorrow. Oil change as well. Ben (the Loyale) is less than 200 miles away from his 100k mile birthday!

#6006 l75eya

l75eya

• Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

Driver's front done on the Loyale. It was a band-aid axle I rebuilt that was on my GL and only meant to be on there for about 1k. It was on there for about 4k miles. It did it's job.

New axle was a bitch.

Changed oil, mobil 1 + filter. New air filter. Adjusted timing but it was only off -2*. Still got my slight hiccup. Oh well.

#6007 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Drove the PandaWagon to Phoenix to check out ComiCon - still overheating. :( I had to stop 3 times to let the cooling system cool down enough to burp the air back out of the cooling system and refill it. I'd loose about 3/4 of a gallon in about 20 miles. :eek
The radiator cap and thermostat are new. I don't think it's them.

To get me home, I did this:

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/44982071@N04/14399842823/]14399842823_8595525eab_c.jpg

It let the air out but didn't let the coolant out. :) I also did no more than about 68 MPH (3200 RPM) on the interstate and 55 on the state highways. Between the two, I managed to get home without her overheating. :)

From doing some internet searching, it's a head gasket. :(

#6008 wagonist

wagonist

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

Nope, those are built by a guy named Willy Fisterbottom who is a Member of AUSubaru.com forums; in fact there is a whole thread going there, just about his name... The question about those unequal Exhaust, is this:

Beside an Engine's sound Change, there could be any other advantage / disadvantage with that Setup?

Seems like it would transfer heat to the Oil Filter / Timing Belts area.

Kind Regards.

as usual on my posts, underlined words are web links

The factory turbo manifold wraps around the front of the engine also, but its double skinned. I'd be installing a heat shield between the pipe & the filter.

The biggest problem with the factory pipes is squashing them when running off-road. The turbo's don't have this issue cos the ipe is higher & then goes over the engine crossmember, not under it.

#6009 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

20 Years of Ownership. 94-14

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

Working on the block. Got the driver side done.

BEFORE

100_0712.jpg

AFTER

100_0729.jpg

#6010 Scooner

Scooner

I like subarus.

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:00 PM

^^Purty^^

Getting excited about the trip?!

#6011 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:15 PM

Drove the PandaWagon to Phoenix to check out ComiCon - still overheating. :( I had to stop 3 times to let the cooling system cool down enough to burp the air back out of the cooling system and refill it. I'd loose about 3/4 of a gallon in about 20 miles. :eek
The radiator cap and thermostat are new. I don't think it's them.

To get me home, I did this:

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/44982071@N04/14399842823/]14399842823_8595525eab_c.jpg

It let the air out but didn't let the coolant out. :) I also did no more than about 68 MPH (3200 RPM) on the interstate and 55 on the state highways. Between the two, I managed to get home without her overheating. :)

From doing some internet searching, it's a head gasket. :(

Welcome to the club. ;)

#6012 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:57 AM

^^Purty^^

Getting excited about the trip?!

Oh definitely. Getting a bit nervous that this will all be ready in time. :unsure:

#6013 TheYeti

TheYeti

Carp in Denim!

• Members
  • 505 posts
  • Arvada

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

My ignition switch would not release.  I couldn't turn the car off let alone get the key out. 

Sprayed some Tri-Flow into the cylinder the other day and the problem seems to be fixed for now.

#6014 Willy Fisterbottom

Willy Fisterbottom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • NSW

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

The factory turbo manifold wraps around the front of the engine also, but its double skinned. I'd be installing a heat shield between the pipe & the filter.

The biggest problem with the factory pipes is squashing them when running off-road. The turbo's don't have this issue cos the ipe is higher & then goes over the engine crossmember, not under it.

This should be in the Historic forum as it’s in a 77 2 door
but, it has an EA81 so I guess it can go here….

I was concerned with heat transfer from the headers but, I’ve checked oil temps
and it hasn’t gone up, even if it did I’m running 20W 50 so I can afford a bit
more heat in the oil. I don’t think I’ll hit anything as the pipe isn’t hanging low and it’s not a 4wd

You have to admit it is arguably the best sounding EA81 in
the world……..

#6015 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,729 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

My ignition switch would not release.  I couldn't turn the car off let alone get the key out. 

Sprayed some Tri-Flow into the cylinder the other day and the problem seems to be fixed for now.

I've had that happen before. The tumbler is worn out and you'll have to replace it. Probably should do it sooner than later.

#6016 WASHroad

WASHroad

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Lynnwood

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

Yahoo,, it's A-Live,,,  Had picked up a '91 Loyal Wagon with bad head gaskets.   Ordered up a set of Stone Head gaskets and got them in.   Sounds fine running smooth and quite.   So far a good investment.. $350 mostly straight 137K miles...   $150 parts,,    equals runner...

#6017 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 6,370 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

14399842823_8595525eab_c.jpg

I Like the Pencil and Zip Tie idea also;

but is sad to know that the PandaWagon is Overheatin' ...

Have you checked for clogged Radiator and / or Stuck Thermostat?

AFTER
100_0729.jpg

That is an Awesome Cleansing Job!

Kind Regards.

#6018 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 6,370 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

...  Had picked up a '91 Loyal Wagon  ...   So far a good investment.. $350 mostly straight 137K miles...   $150 parts,,    equals runner...

Great! ... but ... Where are the Photos:) 

Kind Regards.

#6019 Silas Cruse

Silas Cruse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Dallas Oregon

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

Installed the Jackman Wheels

185 80 13

Attached File  aluminium-jackman.jpg   146.44K   24 downloads

#6020 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

I Like the Pencil and Zip Tie idea also;

but is sad to know that the PandaWagon is Overheatin' ...

Have you checked for clogged Radiator and / or Stuck Thermostat?

That's where I started. I replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, radiator, and water pump. But none of them solved it. :(

#6021 TallonX

TallonX

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Rochester, Wa

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Sure your not running lean subynut?

#6022 subynut

subynut

EJ Powa!

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

Sure your not running lean subynut?

According to the wideband, no. Running right on target of 14.5-14.9 at cruising rpms.

#6023 l75eya

l75eya

• Members
  • 1,942 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

Replaced dragging loose crappy driver's caliper under warranty. No more clunking and clicking and sticking. Happy. :-)

#6024 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

84 Brumby got plain old oil change as per evertime od hits another 10,000km, last one indicated 360,000, this one 370.000. Amazed as this speedo unit is the fourth one I have installed in fifteen years and it still counts, though nedle guts or cable needs a lube - getting wavering. Valvoline 15W40 Engine Armour of the like, and must do filter included. Oil looked a bit dirtier than I expected out of the cleaned out internals EA82. The engine Y pipe metal screws got a new lease of life on the double walled pipe, bigger thread size this time.

#6025 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 6,370 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

Dear Jono,

do you have Photos of your EA82 Brumby, to share here?

Kind Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users