Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

that's alot of timing belts. Did the stock level of them get depleted?

Naw, its just that I don't like to put old servicable parts back on if they come off for other reasons. Only the 91 and the 88 had broken belts. The other three came off for head gasket and valve issues, so I just put on new belts there too.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I replaced the t-belts on my blue wagon when I replaced the leaking head. I did the same with my sister's roo when I resealed that engine.

Even though it's not that bad of a job, it's the inconvenience that bugs me. Much better to replace them when they're almost due instead of having one snap 600 miles from home in the middle of the Nevada desert.:eek:

Edited by subynut

thats good to do. I have people want me to do timing belts for them, and I refuse if they don't replace the idlers, and water pump(if tb driven) and explain why. one of my friend's would not replace the idlers on his 1.8 impreza, one locked up, pulled out the threads from the case and then stripped the new belt. so I charged him for idlers, the whole job again, helicoil in the engine case, new belt and labor (cheap for friend)

Well yesterday on the way home the right rear wheel bearing decided it had had enough of being noisy and annoying and moved on up to grinding crunchy death wobble.

So today I got to change my first subie rear wheel bearing. Boy what a fun job:lol: Anyway thanks to 987687 for the pictorial thread http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111498&highlight=rear+wheel+bearing+replacement

It was a big help. I was bummed that there are no ea81's in the pnp's around here because I've always just changed the whole trailing arm in the past.

I had a fun time getting the inner bearing nut out, but the real pain was that the pivot bolt for the trailing arm had siezed up in the collor inside the bushing. In the end I was able to get it out enough to cut the bolt with a sawzall and then shimmy the arm out of the bracket. Once off the car I was able to get the bolt and collar out of the bushing, seperated and cleaned up. New bolt, new one piece rear bearing housing and new bearings and she's back on the road. Its soooo much more quite, like it used to be!

Thanks again usmb! This forum rocks.:headbang:

Oh yeah I changed the gear oil in the ls diff too!

Daniel

I drove the XT6 the other day finally. Went from my old house to my new house. I also moved the RX onto a trailer and towed it to my new house. Now I gotta go get the other RX so I can have more fun.

First off I gotta get the XT6 back on the road. Which means...

full engine reseal

new clutch

new timing belts

fix the body where someone back up into it

install '00 OBS knuckles with new bearings in the front, along with axles and brakes

then align it:banana:

Only $800 worth of parts for that bad boy:rolleyes:

The silver RX is going to finally run, then everything is going to get swapped over into my other RX body.

I cleaned out the garage, or at least one side of it so Ned can go inside...

Some jimmy marks near the gas tank and at least 3 full tanks of gas gone tell me its best to put him inside at night, getting expensive at about 49 dollars per tank :( or a locking gas cap is an option, but I dont know, I dont want them to break that too :(

garage.jpg

garage2.jpg

Pardon the plymouth on the side (1942) that will someday be restored and sold and I will buy myself a 22B or build myself a 22B replica lol

Its a nice one, but needs lots of work. But its "rare" I guess, one of the last like 75 or 100 off the line before Plymouth made the tanks for the war. Flathead 6 engine needs complete rebuild or engine swap, I wanna convert to a 12 volt system. Basically make it look like the hearse I built when I was 15, but the hearse was over 10k invested :( lol.

Ned says Hi :) My school got a kick out of his license plate, had to tell them his plate number for my parking permit and she just laughed.

Installed new Brembo rotors and Bendix pads from drivewire.com on my 91 Loyale wagon. I obtained some good street tires and steel rims too. Also recently found a 89 GL wagon with a bad motor. No signs of rust. Hoping I can acquire it from the present owner. "It's a bubble top." 5MT 4WD e82 SPFI.