Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Favorite Subie

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love the 83-84 Brats and wagons.Ive got an 84 turbo Brat,and I chased down an 84 turbo wagon with the big billboard turbo lettering on the side.I left a number with the girl who was driving it she said she would tell her dad because she thought he would sell but no call as of yet.I would say 83-84 Brat or wagon with the turbo motor.

Bushbasher, the car was actually a pretty lousy car in terms of fit and finish. You could feel air blowing in at a few places, the door strap was a piece of leather stuck in the resin when wet, it rattled, squeaked, and the wheel bearings had a life measured in months rather than years. However it did look good and did what it was supposed to do well. It was loud, fast and fun.

That pretty much fits along with what I've heard. I've only heard from my dad, who got to drive a mangusta once, that the mangustas handle like pigs. But then again he compares everything with his lotus :rolleyes: Somewhere else I heard that they have a kind of "kit car" feel to them.

Wow, where to start? The thing about Subaru is that they made so many unique and cool cars over the years! Well here's my list in no particular order.

81 Brat GL

Gen 1 phase 2 4WD wagon

05 STi

EA81 turbo wagon and coupe

Gen 2 brat

GC6 2.5RS

360 sedan and van

There are many more than this, but this is all I could think of... (Kind of got overwhelmed by just thinking about all the sick subes! ADD will do that to you!)

I've been away from the board for a couple weeks so I haven't seen this.

My favorite car ever is my Legacy. I never thought in a million years I'd say that, but it's true.

I have: owned it since my junior year of HS, beat on it, pampered it, torn it to pieces and put it back together, rallycrossed with it, pulled cars out of mud with it, had accidents in it, gotten tickets in it, almost got laid in it, got so mad at it I wanted to drive it off a cliff, swore I would commit suicide if something ever happened to it, and all this time, the car has never failed to get me where I needed to go. Ever. The car literally is a part of me and as long as it runs, it's mine.

I still love my XT, and even though it's in pieces draining all my extra cash on parts, I still miss it and can't wait to have it running again.

I would LOVE to have a Fulltime 4WD XT Turbo, a 91 Legacy Turbo 5MT with LSD, an RX, a Brat, and I am also planning on building one of the fastest first-gen Legacies in the world as I get out of college, but I've said too much about that already ;)

In-depth statistical analysis combined with subjectively reading between the lines, yielded the following results.

Brats 11 votes.

83-84 turbo favorite year

Legacy 3 votes.

Turbos

Loyale 2 votes

90-91

Wagons 2 votes

86-88

Pre 79's 3 votes

wagon, brat, sedan

Honorable mentions (or 1 vote Loosers)

Hatch

SVX

RS

RX

XT

22b

Wow, not the results I expected.....

I'm trying to figure out what mine would be, i'm so attached to the 88, that i could never give her up, a kind of half breed DL-GL its great. but if i could have any old school subie, i would break it down two ways, to keep it stock, a gen 1 brat with the twin headlights and jump seats. but if i could customize one it would be a 89 hatchback, EA-81T D/R, gloss black with tinted windows, to look like the one in cannonball run. with scorpion wheels, black, and SSR swampers, and the obvious lift necessary to run the larger tires. with copius amounts of KC lights. the ultimate offroader, however ken's new and improved beast, mudrat's and lumpycam's could still blow it out of the water easy.

as far as new, i'm leaning towards the outback sport, its the most "old school" of the new ones. then with the obvious tuning, cobb would turbo the 2.2 block and i'd find a foreign(sic) market dual range, put on a lift kit and get some swampers. i think i have a trend going, don't give me an STi or i'd offroad that one too.

Oh, and i want an RX turbo full time 4wd too.

We're not quite done yet sweet82. I didn't own my first subaru until 1995 and it was a 1987 XT-DL, 5-spd. Didn't even have a back seat! But I soon grew to love that car. It was quick off the line, handled well and great on gas. I moved on to an '89 GL-10T auto? and loved all the cushy features that car had. Ran into another deal on an '86 XT Turbo GL and really enjoyed that one too, till it got creamed earlier in May. I have never drived the XT6, but soon will as my husband has found one that needs some work. It is really hard to pick one, but my favorites are from the late 80's. I still haven't listed ALL of the Subarus that I have owned and remember each one fondly for different reasons. I will soon also have a 'new' 89 GL-10T wagon (love that sun/moon-roof) to drive and can't wait to compare to the XT6. Your work will have to wait until I get to drive that XT6!

Linda

BRATs of course....The only Subaru vehicles I've owned

Bought the '86 in 02-2002, the '82 in 12-2002, and the '84 in 12-2003. After driving all 3 of them, I have to say that the '82 is my most favorite one. Can't wait to get it back on the road, I miss driving it.

I like the 3-doors. Gl, RX, I think they made some loyale ones. I just like the way they look. The RX would be nice cause of the full time 4wd and the turbo, but I'd like to take a more nondescript 3-door and put a 2.2 in it. The 3-door's are just such unique looking cars, some may think that they are just ugly, but i think they're cool.

Put in another vote for the RX's.

• 1 month later...
my 90 loyale wagon w/ 4wd is hard to top. i guess a turbo would be nice but i've got more room that i can use, it will take me anywhere, it has the classic squared off body and it gets close to 30 mpg. it is the best car i have ever owned.

I'm with Goat. Once you get familiar with these cars, they're about as complicated as a lawnmower. Almost as good looking too! I have mine "customized" with a $3 plastic coffee cup holder that I permanently mounted on the coin tray thing, and one o' them goofy windshield-mounted magnetic compasses. I feel like the captain of my own ship everytime I set off on a voyage in this thing. My kids, meanwhile, are ashamed to be seen in it.

I have to agree with you, the 82 Brat GL was the best - probably because it was the first Brat I ever saw up close & personal. I love my '84, only wish it was manual instead auto.

I've also owned an '82 GL hatch (this was like a timex-took a licking & kept ticking), and an '86 DL wagon (not as tough as the '82).

I'd have to say my realistic, everyday dream subie would be a more powerful version of my GL, if it weren't so rusty. So my vote would be an EA82 turbowagon, with the accord spring mod, some 14" pugs, some slightly larger All-Terrain tires. But the cool little "luxury" (great for 1985) items are awesome, Hill-holder (which I just realized mine had and adjusted it so it would work again, never occured to me that it might have it), maplights, power locks/windows/mirrors, fold flat rear seats, etc. Add Cruise Control, and I'm in love!

Now, in a perfect world, one without budgets or schedules, an SVX, with a 5 speed swapped in it, and some performance improvements, and WOW, that's what I call a dream car.

-Chux

i've always loved the way a fully loaded EA82 wagon looks, with tinted windows and a lift kit. i've put some effort into hotrodding it as well, but it'll never be the monster EA82T that WJM and Subarutex have created, to name a couple.. oh well. I've really grown to appreciate the EA81 for it's SIMPLICITY though, and I'm lucky to have a brat in great shape.. does anyone who owns a brat NOT like it?